Science Olympiad: Exploring the World of Science!
Science Olympiad is provided by a partnership between the Carlsbad Educational Foundation (CEF), and local science and engineering partner, Viasat.
What is Science Olympiad?
Science Olympiad is a team sport for STEM enthusiasts, requiring preparation, commitment, coaching and practice throughout the year. Students work in teams to cross-train for a variety of events to compete with other students at the San Diego Regional Science Olympiad Competition!
What are the benefits of Science Olympiad?
1. Increased in-depth knowledge and understanding of science concepts and general knowledge.
- An increase in ability to apply scientific knowledge
- Greater breadth of knowledge in areas previously unexplored
- Exhibit significantly enhanced laboratory skills
- Experience science as real scientists would
- Use and apply the scientific method with meaning
- Begin to see the interrelatedness of the sciences.
2. Improved problem-solving skills.
- Application of problem solving skills as a long term endeavor
- Education in the importance of trial and error
- Emphasis on experiences rather than memorization
3. Hands-on training in:
- Collaborative and/or creative thinking Applying critical thinking skills to real-time situations
- Constant experimentation to solve problems at hand
- Creative application of new ideas
- Time management and teamwork
10 Reasons why YOU should Join Science Olympiad
10. Great addition to your academic resume.
9. Improve your study skills.
8. Learn more about subjects that interest you.
7. A sense of accomplishment.
6. Build cool gadgets.
5. It’s like getting a second elective course.
4. Show California what VMS Vikings are made of.
3. Promotes teamwork and collaboration.
2. Make new friends.
1. It’s challenging and fun!!!
High School, College, and Career-Ready
CEF is honored to work with its local science and engineering partner, Viasat, and the Carlsbad Unified School District to provide middle and high school students the incredible opportunity to observe, experience and explore STEM careers. Student groups are mentored by adult science enthusiasts who are often professional scientist and/or engineers in the field.
Hands-On STEM Competition
Science Olympiad competitions are like academic track meets, consisting of a series of 23 team events in each division (Division B is middle school; Division C is high school). Each year, a portion of the events are rotated to reflect the ever-changing nature of genetics, earth science, chemistry, anatomy, physics, geology, mechanical engineering, and technology.
STEM Skills and Fun!
Teamwork is a required skill in most scientific careers today, and Science Olympiad encourages group learning by designing events that forge alliances. Even if you don’t think you are a “science person,” you will learn that you have skills to contribute to the group’s success.
Ready to Join?
Sign ups for Science Olympiad are every fall at the beginning of the new school year. Students are asked to choose their event preferences and availability for the season. We want all our Olympians to train in at least one build and one test event. Please refer to the specific event schedules that may change every year when choosing events to prevent conflicts. Here is an overview of the 2019-2020 season.