The Carlsbad Educational Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in 1983, to raise private support for public education and contribute to the enrichment of nearly 11,000 students in the Carlsbad Unified School District.
Since its inception, the foundation has contributed more than $10 million in funds to Carlsbad public schools, primarily for science, technology, and music – programs that would not be possible in California’s current school funding environment.
100% of donations go directly to support the Carlsbad Unified School District because CEF’s operating expenses are covered by student enrichment programs and Kids Care, a comprehensive before and after-school K-5 childcare program.
You Make It Happen
Your support invests more than $1 million to Carlsbad public schools, providing enriching experiences for our students.
Your support keeps critical and relevant academic programs safe from budget cuts. Learn how your impact benefited our students in previous school years. Then watch the video where Superintendent Churchill explains why your investment is critical.
BECOME A STAR MEMBER!
Your support keeps critical and relevant academic programs safe from budget cuts. Superintendent Churchill explains.
Music education has a profound effect on student achievement – especially in other academic areas, including math, reading, and language development.
The Foundation’s investments in district-wide music include:
- Weekly music instruction from onsite music teachers for every student in grades K-5.
- Music coaches and specialists for students in middle and high school.
- Instrument purchases and repairs for the band and orchestras in middle and high school.
- Music mentors for students in grades 6-12.
- The spring musicals at Sage Creek
and Carlsbad High Schools
Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math
These subjects develop student inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking. The end results are students who take thoughtful risks, persist in problem-solving, embrace collaboration, and work creatively.
The Foundation’s investments in STEAM Programs include:
- Robotics – Every 2nd-grade student receives in-class robotics instruction, and grades 4-12 have the opportunity to participate in FIRST LEGO robotics.
- Science Olympiad – a full-year program that prepares students, grades 6-12, to compete academically in STEAM subjects.
- Science Lab Teachers & Supplies – With lab instruction, students engage in hands-on learning – an effective way to teach complex STEAM concepts. Lab assistants, equipment, and materials are funded for grades 4-12.
- Environmental Stewardship – Students grades 2-3 learn about the environment and conservation in programs that culminate in hands-on experiences at the San Diego Botanical Garden and Agua Hedionda Lagoon.
- Science Days – Grades 1-8 have a dedicated day to bring STEAM concepts to life in ways that are not possible inside the classroom.
Innovative programs teach global perspectives, career readiness, and life-long leadership skills that prepare our students for successful futures.
The Foundation’s investments in innovation include:
- Fully-funding Junior Achievement’s BizTown experience and Finance Park experience for 5th and 12th graders.
- The International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at Jefferson Elementary
What Parents are Saying
“Terrific organization that both leads and empowers students to make positive contributions. Impressive and forward-thinking group.”
“CEF makes a difference in the life of my child and our family! Thank you for what you do.”
“With Carlsbad being one of the lowest funded districts in the region (state formulas don’t make sense!), thank goodness we have the foundation to ensure our kids get access to music, science and real world skills they’ll need for the future.”